Friday, November 28, 2014

Twelfth Post-November 28, 2014


This is your final Blog. In this blog, please reread all blogs you have written and reflect about what you have done and learned in this semester.

In this semester, I have learned more about fairytales than I ever thought was possible in fourteen weeks! I have been exposed to a whole new world of hidden meanings behind the Disney films I grew up with.  Fairy tales are usually full of light and happy ever after, but they have shadows of darker themes. I knew that the fairytales were dark, but I was not prepared for just how eerie they were. Juniper Tree, for example, contains cannibalism where the child is beheaded and made into a stew. I also learned about all of the psychoanalytical components in the tales, and how twisted they can be if you interpret them a certain way. You want Bettelheim references? I’ve got plenty!  In Cinderella when the prince puts the shoe on her foot, it symbolizes sexual intercourse. In Snow White, the apple is a symbol of sexual maturity.  I also explored how fairy tales connect to each other and how their lessons and morals can apply to daily life.

I have learned many lessons that I will carry outside the classroom. The Boys and Girls Club project taught me to always be prepared and to have a backup plan, as well as a backup for the original backup. I learned to dig a little deeper when answering questions thoroughly on exams, that there is always something there that you can add to enhance your answer. The workload of the course made me stay one jump ahead and be proactive in getting things done. I feel very fortunate that I was able to be part of this world and in this FYS. I truly could not imagine being in another class. My classmates are some of the best friends I have made here in college. I do not know how I will cope with not seeing them three days a week. They are the most kind, supportive, and encouraging group of people I’ve known.  I have a dream, though, that we will stay friends even after the FYS is over and for years to come.  Much like your biological family, you do not get to choose who is in your FYS with you. This family full of poor unfortunate souls is more than I could have ever hoped for.
                  

This class has been so magical, and I hope everyone gets their happy ever after. 

No comments:

Post a Comment