Saturday, September 20, 2014

Fourth Post-September 20th, 2014


Cinderella is one of these so called “rise tales”, which features a narrative arc of “rags to riches through magic and marriage” (Ruth Bottigheimer). Write a reflection on this motif. Can someone reach success or riches with magic or marriage? How realistic is that?
I do not think that the “rags to riches” idea can be properly executed in real life. Cinderella is a poor girl whose dreams become satisfied by a fairy godmother’s wish-granting ability.  Unfortunately, the world is not full of fairy godmothers with their wands at the ready to make dreams come true. If I want my dreams to come true, I have to be my own fairy godmother. If I want to become the world’s greatest neurosurgeon, I would need to study everything I could get my hands on, practice, and get into the best medical school in the country. Once there, I’d need to secure a good position by beating out my colleagues and being the best. That is not going to happen if I am sitting waiting for people to bring success to me. I would need to put forth the effort to get the results I desire. That is how it worked for Dr. Ben Carson, who was raised primarily by his mother in Michigan and worked diligently and with great dedication to become the first surgeon to successfully separate conjoined twins at the head. He did not just say “I wish for the twins to be separated” and it happened. He planned, strategized, and put time and effort into the 22 hour surgery. 
One could possibly achieve more if they “married up” or wed a spouse who had connections to help that person achieve their dreams.  If someone is extremely motivated, they will do everything they can to achieve their dreams. Princess Diana is a real-life example of a princess story. She married Prince Charles, but before then, she was a regular person who worked as a preschool assistant and nanny. She would not have had the public exposure she did or be able to help as many people without being associated with Prince Charles and the royal family. Her fairy tale came true but not without tremendous scrutiny under the public eye. What you envision as a happily ever after might not be the case. 



No comments:

Post a Comment